Saturday, May 10, 2008

9 minute and 46 second mile

Trace Ann and I ran a 5k today at Claude Moore park. Since we are training to be able to finish the Army 10 miler in October, my original plan was to run this race as fast as I could. Then came the rain. For the last two days it has been pouring buckets of rain and this 5k was a trail run through Claude Moore Park. We had lots of puddles to run through and mud to worry about slipping on, so I thought our time was going to be bad, bad, bad. Imagine my surprise when we come down the stretch and the time clock reads 29 minutes!?!?! We crossed the finish line at a little over 30 minutes. Of course, we both looked like we had run through a sprinkler filled with mud and my shoes were completely soaked and DIRTY! But I'm so impressed that we ran that race so fast - my best time up to now has been 31 minutes and that was over a year ago. This running thing will always be a challenge for me, but I'm getting faster and stronger so my times are getting better and that's all I can hope for.

And as a side note, I'm also impressed that I managed to keep myself in line around a Redskins player. Former Redskin Eddie Mason was a special guest at the race (he ran it and then cheered everyone on as they crossed the finish line). And I managed not to make an idiot of myself acting that an insane Redskins fan..thank goodness for small miracles!
Update - check out my disgusting shoes - after this picture these shoes went right into the wash along with all my other clothes from this run.

No comments: