Friday, August 10, 2007

Thank goodness for friends

Last week, Colin had to travel to Plano, Texas on business. This was payback in a way since I went to Texas for three days in April. He left first thing Tuesday morning and was not due back until Friday evening - my assumption was late Friday night because the flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to Dulles is ALWAYS late. So, I was presented with the challenge of being a single parent for 4 days...definitely a bit daunting. I have always had a great respect for single parents - and after his trip last week, I completely appreciate Colin's willingness to step in and help with Andrew in our evening routines.
Fortunately, I have some really great girlfriends. Tuesday night, we had to go over to Nana's house and make sure that the items that we wanted to be moved on Friday were marked appropriately. While Oz and I made sure everything was ready to go, Nana entertained Andrew and made us dinner. Then Andrew must have rode his bicycle up and down their driveway 20 times. He was exhausted by the time we left for home.
Wednesday night, Andrew and I met up with my friend Havalynn and her son Samuel. Samuel showed off his jumping skills - jumping into the pool to Havalynn at least twenty times. Andrew was not as adventurous, but loved climbing the snake and whale floats that are anchored in the pool.
Thursday night I had planned to take Andrew to see Ratatouille, but we ended up going to dinner with Dan, Trace Ann and Olivia. Olivia and Andrew had so much fun throwing coins into the fountain in the restaurant. And when we stopped giving them coins, they started throwing other things into the fountain - specifically the dough they had gotten from one of the guys who worked at the restaurant. What a mess! Dan was nice enough to pick it all out of the fountain as we were leaving.
By the time we hit Friday, Andrew and I were perfectly happy to pick up a pizza (so Colin would have dinner when he finally came home) and watch a movie. Thank goodness Colin's flight was not cancelled...I was exhausted!

No comments: